The entire OCN Blizzard Junior A Hockey Club would like to offer their sincere condolences to the family of former NHL player Fred Sasakamoose, who recently passed away at the age of 86. Sasakamoose was the first Indigenous hockey player to play in the National Hockey League and was an inspiration to the entire First Nations community.
Sasakamoose, who is from the Big River First Nation in Saskatchewan, and recently the Ahtahkakoop Cree Nation, played for the Chicago Blackhawks during the 1953-1954 season. The Blizzard organization offers their thoughts and prayers to the Sasakamoose family during this difficult time, and would like to thank Fred for inspiring many First Nations hockey players to pursue their dreams.
Alumni and former captain Tony Apetagon will be joining Head Coach Billy Keane on the bench this season. Tony is currently attending U of M working towards kinesiology . While attending online for the current semester, he will spend his time in the north as Guest Coach for his former team(Blizzard), working with his former coach(Blues).
Keane is pleased to see Tony’s return for the first half of the season and is looking forward to the years start. Tony will add a different perspective to the coaching staff and dressing room.
“I am very excited to be back in OCN helping Billy who helped me a lot while playing for him in Winnipeg. OCN has a special place in my heart and I’m excited to be back!” Tony stated.
OCN Blizzard Junior A club of Manitoba Junior Hockey League are seeking Applications for Athletic Therapist/Equipment Manager/Trainer for upcoming Season 2020-2021.
Requirements: Certified Athletic Therapist, First Aid, and CPR
Job Description: The Athletic Therapist/Equipment Manager/Trainer is responsible for the physical care of the athletes and maintenance of equipment. This position requires non-standard hours. We welcome and encourage applications from all persons of Canadian Citizenship.
The Athletic Therapist/ Equipment Manager/Trainer will work under the direction of the Head Coach/General Manger and assume duties as assigned by the Head Coach/General Manager on a daily basis. Job duties shall include but are not limited to:
- Work cooperatively with the Coaches, and accepts duties as assigned by the General Manager.
- Familiar with Skate sharpening equipment. Perform skate sharpening duties.
- Ensure the dressing room is properly organized and assist co-ordination of cleaning daily.
- Co-ordinate the loading and unloading of bus for all road trips with the team’s Coaching Staff.
- Co-ordinate and complete daily laundry duties.
- Co-ordinate the maintenance and distribution of team equipment with the Head Coach/GM.
- Ensure equipment is repaired or replaced as needed.
- Implement an effective Risk Management program with your team that strives to prevent injuries and accidents.
- Assume a proactive role in identifying and minimizing or eliminating risks during all activities.
- Conduct regular checks of players’ equipment to ensure proper fit, protective quality and maintenance, and advise Coaches regarding the selection or replacement of equipment.
- Maintain accurate medical information files on all players and team officials and bring these to Coaches and General Manager Attention.
- Maintain a Player Injury Log.
- Maintain a fully stocked First Aid Kit and bring it to all team activities.
- Implement an effective Emergency Action Plan with your team and practice it regularly to ensure all involved understand their roles and are prepared to act promptly when an incident occurs.
- Manage minor injuries according to basic injury management principles.
- Recognize injuries that require a player to be removed from action. Refer players to medical professionals and coordinate return to play.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle with all hockey participants by being a good role model and by educating participants regarding hygiene, performance-enhancing substances, drug and alcohol abuse, nutrition and hydration.
- Act as a Hockey Trainer for both your team and your opponents if only one Hockey Trainer is present.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary will depend on Education and Experience.
Please forward resumes to:
GM and Head Coach
OCN Blizzard Junior A Hockey Club
Cell: 204 250 5565
The Blizzard have traded the rights for Forward Kobe Campbell to the Waywayseecappo Wolverines in exchange for a Player Development Fee.
During the past season with our club Kobe 23 total points and 54 PIMS in 40 games. We would like to thank him for his contributions to the organization over his time spent with us and the community and wish him luck in his future!
The office is officially open! Come stop by for your season tickets or just to say hi and ask any questions you may have!
We cant wait to see you!
Forward Tobias Commanda-Odjick has been traded to the Campbellton Tigers of the Maritime Junior Hockey League. Playing a total of 33 games in the 2019/2020 year with the Blizzard, he earned himself 18 points. Odjick is sticking closer to home this upcoming season, wanting to spend more time with family and friends. The OCN Blizzard wish Tobias the best of luck with the next step in his career and thank him for his time with our club!
In return, the Blizzard acquire ’01 born Thomas Dodds and a Player Development Fee. Welcome to the OCN Blizzard!
The OCN Blizzard have acquired 2000 born David Queree from the Steinbach Pistons along with a Player Development Fee (PDF) in exchange for the list rights of Owen Weihs (03) F.
David comes to the Blizzard from Richmond, BC. The forward played his last two seasons with the Pistons adding 13 points and 58 PIM in 48 games.
“David is a 6’4″, 195lbs two way centre who works hard off and on the ice. His attitude and work ethic along with his leadership will help us regain a winning culture the OCN Blizzard so proudly had.” stated Head Coach/GM Billy Keane.
Subscribe to HockeyTV to ensure you don’t miss any games this season! Click on the link to take advantage of this offer!
Use code MJHLBLIZZARD20 at checkout and save $80 until August 17, 2020!
July 16th, 2020
The OCN Blizzard management has released Chris Perchaluk from his role as General Manager and Head Coach of The Blizzard. Chris Perchaluk took over a bigger role as Head Coach mid season 2019-2020. During Season 2019-2020 Blizzard were unable to grab a spot in the Play-offs despite having a strong start at the beginning of the season. “Chris stepped forward during mid of the season and took over a bigger role but we are so far behind in our standings and performance that we feel it’s time to bring more experienced and seasoned leadership in the organization. Blizzard has a glorious past and it’s time to reclaim that. We wish Chris best of luck for future” said both owners Salman Dhillon and Usman Dhillon.
OCN Blizzard has announced hiring of Billy Keane from Winnipeg Manitoba as Head Coach and General Manager of the club. Billy Keane is a well-known name in Junior Hockey and has been coaching since 1989. He has coached Winnipeg Monarchs, held position as Assistant Coach of University of Manitoba and head coach of Winnipeg Saints Jr A, Winnipeg South Blue Jr A and Head Coach and General Manager of Winnipeg Blues in his extensive career in hockey. Greg Hunter is also coming back to the Club as Assistant Coach and Assistant General Manager of the Club. Greg Hunter has been involved with the team for more than 20 years and held the position of Assistant Coach during Blizzard’s championship runs.
OCN Blizzard is celebrating its 25th year anniversary this year and hoping to make a strong comeback in the season 2020-2021.
For additional questions and queries Please contact Billy Keane OCN Blizzard General Manager and Head Coach at (204) 250 5565.
We will begin selling our Season Tickets this Friday June 5! Check back in to see how to get your hands on them! Early Bird Tickets give you over $150 in savings compared to door pricing!